
Tuesday night, the Unified School District in Alameda, a suburb near San Francisco and Oakland, adopted a new curriculum that addresses bullying, acceptance, and respect. While this doesn’t sound too controversial at first, some parents are enraged that this new curriculum includes a mandatory 45 minute discussion each year about lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered issues. Kindergarten students will discuss teasing and its harms, as well as read the controversial children’s book, “And Tango Makes Three.” Fifth graders will discuss sexual orientation stereotypes.
Overall, parents voicing concerns seem to be upset over the mature topic being discussed, arguing that children are too young to learn about such adult issues. Additionally, parents are upset that they cannot choose to keep their children from participating. The school defends its new curriculum, stating that there has been an increase in young children using derogatory words such as “fag.” The school also states that this is a way to stop the schoolyard bullying before it starts.
Overall, this situation tackles that tricky issue of “protection.” Are parents correct in arguing that children need to be protected from discussing such mature issues? Is the school correct in arguing that children being bullied as a result of their own or their parents’ sexual orientation need protection from intolerant students? Can both parties be right?
While I live my life very conservatively, I am admittedly very liberal when it comes to protecting the rights and liberties of others. I also do not have children—and thus, my opinions could be different once I become a parent. That being said, I think it is never too soon to teach acceptance. School should be a welcoming place where all can learn. If students are being teased for any reason, the school needs to take action. Moreover, if young children are using such derogatory words and picking on others because of sexual orientation, then these taunting children do not need to be protected from such issues. They are obviously aware—now they just need to be educated.
Sadly our children are faced with many mature issues... divorce, abuse (physical, sexual and mental), violence and bigotry. The school is not making them face the mature issues, they are trying to help the children deal with the mature issues that they are already facing. Schools have for years taught children about "stranger danger", this is a much more mature issue than accepting people.
ReplyDeleteVery well put. Thanks for your thoughts!
ReplyDeleteThis is a great topic, thank you for posting. I agree that it is never too early to teach empathy and compassion and tolerance. It seems the outrage seems to be focused on the GLBT issues. I wonder what other discussions will follow? Are there going to be conversations about race and disablity too? If so, I think this discussion fits in well with the curriculum. I am really impressed with this school's proactive stance.
ReplyDeleteDonna,
ReplyDeleteThis is fantastic news to hear! I applaud the Unified School of District's decision to address bullying by incorporating respect and understanding into the school's curriculum. And what better way to do this than through books! And Tango Makes Three is definitely a great choice to help introduce children to alternative ideas and acceptance.
Are parents right to object to the 45 minutes that deal with LGBT topics? They do have a right to voice their opinions and concerns. However, it's sad to think parents are rejecting this type of exposure and opportunity to help educate students on acceptance and tolerance. By doing so, these parents are simply allowing the bullying to continue while failing to admit how wrong it is.
Donna presents a very powerful and true argument: the point that children are using these words show they do not need "protection" from a mature topic such as homosexuality -- but instead, they need to be educated on compassion and learning that the real world is comprised of diverse views, ideas, and beliefs.
Our children deal with these issues everyday no matter what age they are. We live in a society where things are easily publicized and to believe that children will not need to learn about them until a specific age is ridiculous. Children learn best when they are young. Tolerance, sharing and caring for others in general is best taught at an early age.
ReplyDeleteHi Donna -
ReplyDeleteWow. What a topic. When I first started reading I was unsure if I agreed with you or not. I, not have much experience with young children, assumed that they would be too young to have prejudice. But if they are already discriminating then there should absolutely be tolerance taught. What is interesting is that the parents might not even realize they are teaching their kid to judge.