
(And yes... this is another posting about Facebook...)
Starting at 12:01 am on Saturday June 13th, Facebook will allow its users to have their very own URL’s, making remembering and finding people’s individual Facebook pages and those of groups much easier. Also…www.facebook.com/profile.php?=id12345678 does not look nearly as snazzy as www.facebook.com/donna.bowman.
Now if you have a common name, you better get onto Facebook at 12:01 am on Saturday, because these new vanity URLs are going on a first come, first serve basis. More importantly, you have only one shot to get this right. Once you have picked your URL, you cannot change it or transfer it. Furthermore, those who sign up for a Facebook account today (or any day after) may not be able to have a vanity URL immediately because Facebook wants to prevent username “squatting” and other username abuses.
But the real question is--is having your own vanity URL a good thing? Well, I guess that depends if you want to be found more easily. I am a privacy setting nut. I am always updating and changing my Facebook privacy settings. And I frequently Google myself to make sure nothing inappropriate is out there. That being said, I am conflicted. I don’t want to be found, but I selfishly don’t want someone to take my name. I happen to know there are many Donna Bowmans on Facebook. Why should they get my URL—even if I am not sure if I want it?
What are your thoughts? Is this a great thing? Or is this a privacy nightmare? Are there other concerns I (and Facebook) hasn’t even thought of?
For more information:
- See Facebook’s blog.
- Also see: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/31/AR2009053100389.html
Interesting article Donna! I think this is a great thing for libraries to be able to have an easy site to find. I'm not really a fan of FB, so personally I don't think I'd mind if some other Cassie Brown got the URL, but it is a good idea.
ReplyDeleteI think it would be weird for someone to have a url with my name... what if someone thought that was me, but it wasn't??? It seems like that just makes it too easy to find people. And I think it's weird that some people can have vanity url's but others may not be able to. I see how it looks nicer and makes it easier to find people, but it would bother me if someone had my name and had one.
ReplyDeleteWhen I first read your post I really had no feeling either way. So, when I was with friends last night I brought it up. None knew about it but all use facebook. It was NOT a conversation starter... no one cared. Whether or not my friends are a fair representation of my age group I do not know. I think Cassie made a great point though with saying it may help businesses or organizations with facebook.
ReplyDeleteYes, I agree with Cassie that this will be a great tool for organizations-- because of course they want to be found easier.
ReplyDeleteOverall, I don't think many people know about this URL thing. And I just wonder why...lots of people use facebook...and everyone has a name...so wouldn't they care at all about their facebook name? Who knows... I guess there are more important things going on.
I wasn't manic enough about getting my name to stay up until 12:01 a.m., but it is always a little weird seeing "your" name when it's not you. On one of my wedding registries, there's someone else with the same name as my fiance, and it always comes up when we search for our registry with his name. I know it isn't him, but it still feels a little off to see his name with some other woman's name.
ReplyDeleteIf there is someone else with the name Nell Glover, I want to know who it is! I'm going to check it out after I post this. In general, a vanity URL isn't a big deal unless you care if someone else has your name. And I agree with thye rest of ya that businesses and organizations could benefit from it. I wonder why Facebook offered it in the first place? Just because they could, I guess.
ReplyDeleteAren't people on Twitter having the problem of other people using their (or the same) name and causing confusion? I personally don't understand the need for all of this "easy" access and vanity. But that's just me. My maiden name was so common that it caused confusion on several occasions, once when a doctor's office was preparing to do some medical "procedure" on me that was meant for the other person of the same name! Imagine the confusion about to ensue with all of these Facebook URL's--people not understanding their messages that were meant for someone else, not receiving their messages because they went to someone else...
ReplyDeleteSo here is what I think this is moving to: I predict (ad hoc, absolutly no evidence that this will happen) that facebook will become an email provider. You can already send a message and receive messages in your inbox to and from other facebook users. What if you can email and receive emails from other email serves. Facebook is already the most used social network, what if those 200 million users decided that they would rather get their emails at James.Bell@facebook.com rather than @gmail.com. More time on facebook, more ads money.
ReplyDeleteby the way, I got my username at 12:02am. facebook.com/james.bell check me out.
(Hey, there are 6,000 James Bells in the US, Ive got to be quick, check it out: www.howmanyofme.com )
Ok James, I had to check out how many there are of me. Apparently there are 1 or fewer Mary Beth Schlabachs in the world. It is a wonderful thought... but I know it to be inaccurate (unless someone is using my name) because there is someone in the medical field that comes up when I google myself.
ReplyDeleteI didn't really think about the vanity URL's as a privacy issue. But I guess if you don't list yourself in searches but use a vanity URL for your page, then people will be able to at least locate you page. So, if your concerned about privacy in that way, then you can opt out of the vanity URL. But if you want to be able to quickly give someone your Facebook URL without having to think about a whole bunch of numbers, then it is probably a good idea to get one. But as long as you have your profile private and not public, I don't see anything wrong with the URL's for people concerned about privacy.
ReplyDelete@thestateimin That's interesting about Facebook becoming an email provider; however, Gmail Wave may just beat Facebook in providing email and social networking.
There are 384 "Donna Bowmans" in the U.S. I am actually surprised there are not more. BUT GET THIS---- There is only one (yes--one) Donna Garchie (my former maiden name) in the U.S. This could be because it is a completely made up last name (long story)... but still I feel a little more special.
ReplyDeleteAnyway... at least now if I want a facebook url for my maiden name I am safe.
And very interesting thoughts on the facebook/email. I wouldn't be surprised because facebook seems to be creeping into every aspect of our lives.
Yes, I checked. I cannot get Donna Bowman. Sad. But I could get any variation of Donna Garchie. So... I took a leap and went for it. My vanity url is http://www.facebook.com/dgarchie.bowman. I think this name is too long for anyone to really remember--- so I think it defeats the purpose of a vanity url. However, i feel better knowing that some other donna garchie bowman wont be posing as me. :)
ReplyDeleteI consider myself an active facebook user, but I wasn't really concerned about this change! I can understand the usefulness of it, similar to myspace or having a specific blog name. I still haven't looked into getting a username because I"m not sure how important it is for me right now! I am getting married in less than 2 months and will have a new name so which would I choose?!? Oh dilemma! Hopefully I will be fine either way since according to howmanyofme.com there are 1 or fewer of me with my current name and with what my married name will be. :)
ReplyDelete